Under 15s Win Difficult Match vs Camp

We played Camp in our 3rd league match of the season last weekend. It was a wet day and both halves started with heavy downpours which wasn’t helped by the cold temperature. But if it was a cold day,the match itself heated up at times and both teams served up a good display of soccer. Camp were a big team and we had to be at our best to beat them. We had the advantage of the westerly wind in the first half and dominated both in terms of territory and chances. Our front 2 of Sean Higgins and Christopher Murphy picked holes in their defence as the half wore on with Sean in particular close on 3 or maybe 4 occasions before Jack McCarthy eventually scored the first goal of the game winning a header from a corner. Our midfield were generally on top with Jack McCarthy winning possession around the middle and Bobby making his probing passes. On the right wing Dara was causing all sorts of problems but the player of the first half had to be Ciaran Carmody who’s clever use of the ball and dribbling skills made for great viewing. At the back Brian O’Regan in goals was reliable as ever and in front of him Sean Donnellan,Padraig O’Mahony, Cormac O’ Brien and Antoin Stanton nullified their attacks and started many for us. The Camp team put up stiff resistance in this half and their giant keeper pulled off some amazing saves. In the final minute of the half we succumbed to a ball over our defence and one of our players handled from the ensuing cross to concede a penalty but fortunately for us they missed. 2nd Half – Camp had the advantage of the elements now, much of the game was now played in our half and after 10 minutes they had equalised after a throughball was converted even though it seemed to almost all present that their player was a good deal offside. Nevertheless we dusted ourselves down and got on with the job of reasserting ourselves and soon we had the lead again after Sean finished a chance set up by Bobby and Carmo initially. The game swung towards Camp again but with Christopher proving an excellent conduit we countered very well with Bobby now on the left and Dara on the right. From one of these we  forced a  corner which developed into a goalmouth skirmish and Jack finished for his second. Our game dropped at this point and Camp pressed us again and were rewarded with a goal with 10 minutes to go. By this point we had the terrible twins Thomas and David Lenihan on the pitch and their judicious use of the ball eased the pressure. We scored our 4th and the last goal of the game after another counter attack down the left was expertly dispatched into the net by Dara at the back post. In the last minute Camp hit the bar with a ferocious free kick but it was to be the last kick of the game. Well done to all our players and thank you to all who came to support us.